As a writer, we are always faced with deadline of one type or another. We have to manage those deadlines or they will get the better of us by stopping the creative juices and robbing us of valuable sales time.
- Remove all distractions. Things you may not even think of as a distraction away from the task at hand usually are. From the ever ringing cell phone, television & the internet, to your spouse and even your children, anything that steals your attention from writing has to be removed.
- Create special times during the week just for writing. This may not sound important, but it can help you to get a handle on removing your distractions. Anyways, creating special writing times allows you to focus 100% of your attention on writing and not on other tasks.
- You must create an Outline. Outlines are not just for grade school, they help you to create a ‘business plan’ for your book. You can later use this plan when you get stumped or confused about your storyline.
- Focusing on the task at hand. If you are like me, your attention span may be really, really short. If you follow the suggestions above, you will create a perfect space in which to write that removes everything else.
- Treat writing your ‘whatever’ as your other job. If you have a primary job and you write on the side, then you may not be giving your book the justice that it deserves. If your book becomes wildly successful and popular it can give you thousands of dollars in extra income.