AdSense

Thursday, November 14, 2013

How To Get Your Book Published by the Big Boys! - Part One

I think that it is everyone’s dream to have there book published by Simon and Shuster, Penguin, DK, and to receive a huge signing bonus and royalty check.  The simple fact is that we all can’t be Steven Kings’ or Dean Koontz, but if you play your cards right, you can get published by a big boy or at least an off spring or an independent and reap the royalties you truly deserve.

You want your book published, but you shouldn’t have to pay and the royalties’ amounts are too small through a free print-on-demand (pod) publisher, where do you turn?


Approaching Book publishers

In the publishing world, people use inquiry letters not only to pitch an idea for a book or to tell about a book already written, but also to check up on the status of a project submitted.  The inquiry letter should incite the editor to find out more about you, the project and the book.

After an editor makes contact with you, it is your job to keep attracting the editor to your project until you finally have a deal.


Inquiry letter (Pitch)

Mr. Blake Jones
4920 Blake Jones Road
Dallas, Texas 75643

November 1, 2013

Herman Russell, Editor
Avondale Publishing Group
PO Box 359, Houston, Texas 75100

Dear Mr. Russell
I am in the process of writing a new novel, ‘Thickets in the Wildwoods’, and I believe it is a great fit for your firm.    I have read the Lost Wind series by Beth Smith and my story is also science fiction.   I have included an excerpt below:

(excerpt)

Sincerly,
Your signature


Inquiry letter (Check-up)

Mr. Blake Jones
4920 Blake Jones Road
Dallas, Texas 75643

September 8, 2014

Herman Russell, Editor
Avondale Publishing Group
PO Box 359, Houston, Texas 75100

Dear Mr. Russell:

Ten months ago I submitted my manuscript ‘Thickets in the Wildwoods’ to you and I felt that I should check with you on its status.  I know that you are a very, very busy person, but I would be most appreciative if you could take a moment to check on its status for me.

I thank you for taking the time to check on this and look forward to your reply. An SASE is enclosed for your convenience. 

Sincerly,

Your signature

 
Book publishers & Other Resources
Below is a list of websites that you can visit to find out more about book publishers near you:

 
List over 700 book publishing companies - www.everywritersresource.com/bookpublishers/

Book Marketing & Promotion - www.bookmarket.com/newnovels.htm

Predators & Editors - http://pred-ed.com/pubinqry.htm


Independent Book Publishers Associations - www.ibpa-online.org/resources/affiliates/


 

Next Week - Part Two: How To Land the Ultimate Deal

No comments:

Post a Comment