AdSense

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lesson Five: Common Writing Errors

It's been a little over a week, and I am almost positive that you have written a short story by now, if not you still have time, but we must move on to our next lesson.

Proof reading anything that you create is an important step in the writing process.  Without proof reading, the work you make can make you look like a fool.    Some mistakes you should be able to correct automatically while you write some you won't.  Don't rely on the spell checker feature, it is good, but it won't correct all of the mistakes.

Below is an excerpt reprint from a 40-paged little book (3x3-in. sq.) I wrote in 2004.  It contains a gathering of common mistakes and frequently misspelled words.  As writers we have a duty to create polished works.

It's All About The Grammar: The Perfect Pocket Grammar Guide
copyright 2004 Manus Publishing - http://www.manuspublishing.com

Forward --

Grammar is everywhere.  When you read the morning paper, the instruction of the back of your favorite lunchtime snack, even in spoken languages, grammar is everywhere.  This is the excellent pocket sized fact checker for all of your writing projects.

Spelling --

Here is a list of the most commonly misspelled words:
fulfill, iridescent, siege, separate, misspell, lavender, paralleled, noticeable, occurrence, maneuver, excerpt, heighten, embarrass, dilemmas, conscience, accommodate, minuscule, subtle, myer, noticeable, privilege, rhythm

Apostrophes --

Use an apostrophe to show that something is possessive (belongs to something or someone)
1.      The most common form is an apostrophe 's.
2.      The apostrophe as an contraction, I.E.: can not = can't, it is = it's, who is = who's, of the clock = o'clock, did not = didn't, I will = I'll, are not = aren't, I have = I've, let us = let's, I am = I'm

Spelling Rules 103 --
When adding a prefix or suffix-
1.      Keep the (y) if it is after a vowel, when adding a suffix.  I.E.: display+ing
2.      For words ending in (y) if it is after a consonant (not a vowel), change the (y) to an (I) then add the suffix.  I.E.: merry+ly = merrily

Quotation Marks & Writing Dialogue ---
When writing a conversation between two or more people, start a new paragraph everytime someone else starts speaking.  I.E.:

"Mike," He said, "Why is it gone?"

"It should be there." Paul replied.

"Are you sure?"  Mike asked.

"I didn't move it!"  Paul screamed.

How Do I Combine A Sentence --
The best way to combine two sentences is by using: and, but, or, for, yet, & so.
I.E.:
I have change for that twenty. 
Can I get two tens back?

(corrected)
I have change for that twenty, but can I get two tens back?

Spelling Rules 102 -- Plural Nouns --
1.      Add a (s) to most nouns.
2.      Nouns ending in z, x, sh, ch, or s, add an (es)
3.      Nouns ending in a vowel and y, add an (s)
4.      For nouns ending with a consonant and y, change the (y) to an (i) and add (es)
5.      Nouns ending in (o) add an (s)
6.      Nouns ending in (f, fe) add an (s).

This only represents seven out of thirty topics that It's All About The Grammar: The Perfect Pocket Grammar Guide by bd manus, covers.  We are currently in the stages of up-dating and writing this book in both English and Spanish.  It will be available for sale in mid-November 2013.

P.S.: For all of our available e-book titles, visit http://www.amazon.com/author/bdmanus (for English titles) and http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/bdmanus (for Spanish & the duel language e-book Free Health Care, It Exists by bd manus)

Next week: How to build an E-book Cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment